DPSG-DEHRADUN firmly believes that to bring out the complete potential of a child, it is important to allow them to express themselves through different art forms. We create several opportunities to promote visual arts and sculpture and our school walls, corridors and green spaces reflect this love for it. Not only do students paint and draw in different genres of art but are made aware of the artists and their beliefs and values. The School also sponsors and promotes an Art Competition for Dehradun region which receives enthusiastic participation.
At the heart of the Visual Arts curriculum at DPSG DEHRADUN are knowledge, skills and attitudes that foster creativity, while respecting individual differences in appreciation and expression. The curriculum is simple and stimulating seeking to empower students to explore their own creative prowess as they experiment with different media and go through a varied range of art, art appreciation and various forms of arts activities. Visual arts refer to Painting, drawing, sketching, photography, crafting, sculptures, textile design, Digital Painting , short films, documentaries too. Art integration is also seen across the scholastic domain where self-expression is encouraged to understand and reinforce concepts.
IMPORTANCE OF VISUAL ARTS
• Helps children to represent their thoughts, explore and perform their artistic skills, imagination and memories creatively
• Helps in students’ academics as their learning skills improve with the practice of arts and crafts. They are better at adapting skills and so they learn faster than the children who are less active in visual arts.
• Improves motor skills of students who do art and crafts on regular basis learn to use art tools and techniques like different types of brush, uses of colours, Photography, videography techniques etc.
• Boosts self-confidence as it is a way of representing one’s feelings and imagination in a form. And when it is appreciated, they feel good about their performance and hence are motivated to do better.
• Helps students in analysis, judgement skills as children who make visual arts refer to work of the established artists and make choices.
• Builds Decision and Determination skills as art students learn to analyse, criticize, reason and think logically to decide on different alternatives and make better choices for presenting their work
• Builds Focus and patience as making a visual art piece involves planning and organizing which helps them stay focused on their tasks
• Develops Collaboration and Coordination skills as students’ team up to create group art presentations