In order to pursue student interests and hobbies, that could eventually grow into a passion and help students make career choices of their desire and excel in their field of interest, the School runs a range of clubs where students find creative expression to the various talents they have. The clubs are run in-house by the teachers who too look at them as a creative outlet for their passion. These include: Painting, Theatre, Literary, Art & Craft, Music, Dance – Western & Indian, Graphic Designing. · Science, technology, Sculpture, Drama, Fashion Technology, Cooking, Yoga, Zumba, Pottery, · Music , Carpentry, Photography, Debating, · Environment, Creative Writing, Elocution · & Public Speaking, Debating, Food Technology & Quizzing Clubs.
SCULPTURE & POTTERY
Sculpting with your hands stimulates creativity and imagination. and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of clay which can be molded and sculpted into different forms. Children become involved in shaping their environments through art and design activities. They learn to make informed judgments and aesthetic and practical decisions. They explore ideas and meanings through the work of famous sculptors and designers. They explore the impact of sculpture on contemporary life and that of different times and cultures. The appreciation and enjoyment of this tangible visual arts enriches all our lives.
• The aims of the sculpture and design club are:
• To provide visual, tactile and sensory experiences to the students
• To enable children to record from first-hand experiences and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use create something new
• To improve the children’s ability to control materials, tools and techniques
• To increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of sculpture and design in different times and cultures
• To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designer
The club meets every Friday afternoon to work on learning individual skills and to also collaborate on a large sculpting projects for the school campus .
Student Leader: Puneet Dhiman
Teacher Mentor Mr. Kamal
The primary goal of a debate is for students to generate effective critical thinking into primary issues in the given topic.
The Debate Club gives students a fun way of developing their Oratory skills, Critical Thinking and Communication. The students grow to develop excellent oral and written communication skills, excellent critical thinking skills and effective tools for research, organization and presentation. They develop strategies to overcome the fear of public speaking, and gain the confidence and desire to participate in all academic classes.
The Objective of the Club is to develop
• Confidence – Belief in themselves and their abilities, and the desire to participate in all classes.
• Curiosity – The passion of discovery through effective tools for research, organization and presentation.
• Critical Thinking – How to explore the world through the lens of an inquisitive mind
• Communication – Oral & written skills and strategies for lively yet respectful discussions & disagreements.
• Creativity – The desire to have a divergent perspective.
• Leadership – Self-motivation and the ability to delegate assignments and manage peers.
The Club meets every Friday afternoon to discuss and debate on issue that are relevant in student life and also topics that are contemporary and being debated globally ; Whether junk food should be banned from schools, Should India have a Presidential form of government; Should celebrities receive harsher punishments than ordinary people ?; Should children have to do chores to earn pocket money?; Shouldn’t the media display, promote and report women’s sport equally to men’s sport / Should children have to do chores to earn your pocket money? Should non-essential cosmetic surgery be banned ? Should we close all the zoos?
|Ms. Ritu Jain||Ms. Jagpreet Kaur|
Leader: Ms. Aastha Singh
The English Literary Club has been conceived at DPSG DEHRADUN for those who enjoy using the English language, love to read literature, fiction, drama, poetry and can appreciate the funny nuances in the English language
The Club functions will the following objectives :
• To inculcate among students a flair for the language and enhance their literary skills
• To induce reading habit in students
• To encourage students to become orators and display their intellectual, independent thinking skills and imbibe a sense of confidence
• To provide a platform for debating events
• To improve and encourage creative writing.
The Club Activities include Collective reading for Book reviews, Story writing, speech and drama and aspects of journalism and creative writing. The Club welcomes anyone and everyone with a passion for writing, reading, and creativity
The Club meets every Friday to discuss books and the craft of writing. Some members choose to share their writings during the meetings, therefore starting many discussions. At times they critique each other's work and offer suggestions.
The students also write original scripts that they enact or recite poems and famous speeches. Public speaking is encouraged to develop finer oratory skills.
It is in the Literary Club that they are introduced to various genres and to the literature of the world.
Meetings with people from the world of literature and journalism and exposure to contemporary Indian authors write in English are encouraged to enhance student interest. Students are taken to the Literary fests held in Dehradun.
The Literary Club is more than just a club for reading and writing; it is also a place where students can come to share their insights on politics, life, and school issues.
Mentor: Ms. Preeti Rana
Introducing healthy cooking in schools has many benefits: Children may try new and healthy foods. Teaching cooking to young students is an opportunity to teach nutrition education such as planning meals and make smarter food choices. Cooking can aid children in acceptance of responsibility.
The purpose of the Culinary Club is to provide an environment for students to, socialize, be creative, learn cooking skills, and have fun while acquiring skills that may help them in years to come, in their homes or professionally. Culinary Club students prepare food and enjoy eating the results.
Objectives of the Culinary Club
to encourage children to experience the joy of cooking using a range of techniques with a variety of recipes
To allow students a fuller understanding of the scope of food science and technology
To understand food and nutrition for a healthy life style
To encourage leadership
The Cookery Club aims to encourage students to bake, cook and eat healthily. Students learn about the importance of a healthy and balanced diet, how to plan and prepare balanced meals, read and understand food labels, learn about food hygiene and food safety skills, and above all, discover that baking and cooking is fun! Students are also exposed to new vocabulary associated with baking and cooking methods such as whisking, creaming, folding, slicing, stir-frying, kneading, etc. They also learn to work together, take turns, and encourage their friends during the preparation and cooking process.
In the Primary Years it is an exciting way to understand concepts in all learning areas.
• Math skills, such as counting, fractions, sequencing (determining orders of events), measuring and shapes, measurement of temperature volume
• Increasing vocabulary
• Chemistry and Science, including making predictions and understanding how food changes while cooking.
• Geography, such as where different foods grow and why they grow best there
Learning to cook also helps students understand world cultures, customs and flavors. They also learn life skills like eating healthy, budgeting your money, and cleaning. They realize that. Cooking is less expensive than eating at restaurants, fast food joints and school cafeterias and helps save money.
Mentors: Ms. Monica Batra
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY CLUB
The Science and Technology Club at DPSG DEHRADUN aims at stimulating a spirit of curiosity, enquiry, innovation and creativity amongst students through activities that make science an enjoyable and interesting pursuit. The Science & Technology Club aims to enable pupils to carry out self-directed activities in areas of interest in science. Small groups of students along with their mentors conduct fun and engaging scientific investigations, together.
It also provides opportunities for the pupils to develop initiative and fosters creativity by encouraging the pupils to integrate technology and to participate actively in many events outside the school, that bring their creativity to the fore.
The objectives of the Club are:
• help students acquire basic conceptual knowledge of Science
• To help students develop a scientific way of learning
• Generate curiosity to explore and experiment
• Develop a scientific bent of mind
• To read and remain updated with the advancements in science
• Apply concepts and knowledge learnt during formal lessons to develop students' awareness of and concern for scientific issues in personal, social, environmental and technological contexts.
The students spend Friday afternoon doing fun experiments or fieldtrips/ industrial visits.
The club also focuses on environmental conservation and projects on upcycling, organic farming, composting and maintaining biodiversity and reducing the carbon footprint.
|Ms. Shagufta Ahmed||Mr. Shozeb Jawed||Mr. Rakesh Kamboj|
|Yash Sachdeva||Drishti Tandon|
THE ENVIRONMENTAL CLUB
The Environmental Club was formed at DPSG DEHRADUN to increase awareness of environmental issues among faculty, staff, administration and students and to assist the faculty, staff, administration and students to become better stewards of the environment; make DPSG DEHRADUN a model for environmental education and environmentally sustainable practices.
The Objectives of the Club are:
• To raise awareness among students so that they understand environmental issues
• To instill a sense of responsibility for the environment and a personal commitment to protect and preserve the environment
• To educate and cultivate an appreciation and interest in the environment
The Environment Club enables members to actively lead and participate in the environmental activities
and take personal action to contribute to climate change mitigation. The Club members are trained to become young leaders who connect through formal efforts with other schools and external organisations to create awareness about the environmental related issues threatening the earth.
The students engage and participate in environmental workshops, scientific inquiry projects, geographical investigations, learning journeys, school and community outreach as well partnerships with external organisations in environmental conservation and protection.
As a member of the Club, these young environmental ambassadors lead the environmental activities and events in school and identify and implement values-based environmental programmes within their school and community.
The Environmental Club aspires to conserve our natural resources and the natural environment and create an Eco-friendly environment. It aims at creating awareness of biodiversity conservation and local environmental issues and a clean and green consciousness among students, through various activities.
The Environmental Club initiated a school-wide recycling program and organized a school-wide assembly and year-long activities centered on climate change education and have initiated several tree plantations drives.
The club meets every Friday afternoon to discuss season’s activities/issue , projects and future endeavors. These may include anything from a trip to a local environmental workshop or lecture series, planning for a raising awareness of sustainability issues in the school or community
The members believe that as a member of an Environmental Club, they can:
• Gain knowledge about the environment
• Perform actions to improve the campus environment,
• Help to solve local environmental problems
• Educate others about the environment
• Enjoy themselves and have fun
|Ms. Shivangi Painuli||Ms. Anju B|
|Anushka Tyagi||Avishek Sircar|
The Music Club at DPSG DEHRADUN is a fun club where students have a voice and a choice to decide on what they would like to learn. It is the mission of the Music Club to provide every member with the opportunity to learn and develop a deeper understanding of music through performances, listening, activities, and trips. The Music Club aims to nurture the talent in every member and provide a conducive environment for mutual learning while fostering unity through music listening, practicing and performances.
The members believe that everyone has something to offer and through mentorships, jams, competitions and events they strive to polish skills, share knowledge and spread musical joy.
The Music Club curriculum is an opportunity for students to enhance their knowledge in and appreciate the Western and Indian modern music. To achieve this, various activities and instrumental classes are organized every year. Among them, the annual Singing Contest is one of the most popular activities in our school that attracts many students to take part in.
We also aim to provide opportunities for students with musical talents to perform. The School has a The String Ensemble and a Choir that perform in the annual Founder’s Evening, Award Ceremony and the Graduation Ceremony.
The Club aspires that students develop a background in music and musicianship that prepares them for a wide range of further educational and vocational activities that include music as a component.
Objectives of the Music Club are:
• To provide a balanced and well-defined program of creative, performing as well as listening activities to students.
• To develop student’s musical literacy and musical sense through joining music activities
• To develop all students’ basic skills in instrumental playing
• To integrate IT application in the music curriculum
• To enrich students’ knowledge of music that may cope with other subjects.
• To provide more opportunity to appreciate good music of the world.
• To enhance standard of vocal music.
• To raise the learning interest and area in instrumental learning.
• To raise standards of music appreciation.
• To develop the students’ mental power inner hearing, musical memory and recognition.
• To encourage students to use music to communicate with their classmates as another kind of communication media
• To expose students to music of different cultures.
• To enable students to identify and distinguish the instruments of an orchestra as well we as the special musical elements that characterize the music
• To enhance students’ creativity through learning music composing.
The School Music Club has been producing original Musicals as Annual Productions for Founder’s Evening and performed live.
2017 Wonder Years
2018 Ooh Technology !
2019 Luv U Dehradun
Mentor: Mr. Karan Bhasin
Student Leader: Aayush Jain and Trisha
WELLNESS AND FITNESS CLUB
Wellness Clubs in schools can favorably influence the habits', attitude and knowledge relating to an individual and community. These clubs can modify our behaviour towards the attainment of optimum health.
As part of our physical education program, DPSG DEHRADUN runs a Wellness and Fitness Club for students with the aim of improving health, relieve stress and help build self-esteem.
The Fitness Club aims to develop students' physical competence and knowledge of movement and safety, and their ability to use these to perform in a wide range of activities associated with the development of an active and healthy lifestyle.
Objectives of the Health & Fitness Club
• To provide an assortment of physical activities with an abundance of opportunities for every person to be successful.
• To provide activities that relieve emotional strain and tension.
• To allow one to experience competitive and non-competitive activities as well as team and individual activities.
• To develop interest and the appreciation for the need for life-long movement, activity, and recreation.
• Improve ability to think critically in the areas of personal wellness and be able to make proper decisions regarding your overall health
• To be able to take knowledge that is learned regarding wellness and use it to help others in society
• To become motivated to take responsibility for oneself and make positive health behavior changes
• Increase health awareness by providing health screenings, activities, materials, demonstrations, and information
• To develop all aspects of oneself physical, social, mental, spiritual.
• To develop a wellness awareness within our community.
The members of the club meet once per week for two hours and are encouraged to practice daily health practices that include nutrition and physical activity. The club encourages members to incorporate physical fitness into their lifestyle by being active in some type of physical movement every day. Examples include taking a brisk walk down the hallway or around the football field during a break to relieve stress.
|Mr. Anshul Dhiman||Mr. Ashish Rana||Ms. Sujata Bisht|
Student leaders: Shrishti Sharma