In the quest for excellence, Life Skills program in DPSG Faridabad is intricately woven into the school curriculum and is working with a resolve to shape well rounded personalities. It is a platform for students to share their confusions, firm up their minds and take responsible decisions.
The term ‘Life Skills’ refers to the skills you need to make the most out of life. Any skill that is useful in your life can be considered a life skill. Tying your shoelaces, swimming, driving a car and using a computer are, for most people, useful life skills. Broadly speaking, the term ‘life skills’ is usually used for any of the skills needed to deal well and effectively with the challenges of life.
Life skills have been defined by the World Health Organization as “The abilities for adaptive and positive behaviour that enable individuals to deal effectively with the demands and challenges of everyday life”.
The key life skills of 21st century are
3. Critical thinking
4. Creative thinking
5. Decision making
6. Problem Solving
9. Stress Management
10. Managing emotions
The Top 10 Life Skills recommended by World Health Organization (WHO) are Essential Skills for All Individual to face the challenges of leaving and maintain mental equilibrium. These life skills have to imported to every child or adolescent during the educational period in schools and colleges. Parents, Teachers and all the concerned should join hands in this activity.
SKILLS OF KNOWING AND LIVING WITH ONESELF
Self-awareness is the thinking skill that focuses on a child’s ability to accurately judge their own performance and behavior and to respond accurately to different social situations. DPSG inculcates the habit of self -awareness amongst its students as it believes that self -awareness is an individual’s ability to appreciate the strengths and weakness of one’s own character.
SKILLS OF KNOWING AND LIVING WITH OTHERS
• Effective communication
• Conflict resolution and negotiation
• Friendship formation
• Peer pressure resistance
SKILLS OF EFFECTIVE DECISION MAKING
• Critical thinking: One has to learn to evaluate and critically look at an issue, information situation or requirement or recommendations made by others. One should not blindly accept or get carried away by other’s statements or pressures.
• Creative thinking: One should be innovative and creative; explore new ideas & methods.
• Problem solving: The individual should know the steps in problem-solving i.e. understanding the nature of the problem, its onset, factors which aggravate the problem, different solutions and how to choose the best.
• Decision making: Before taking a decision, one has to list the pros and cons, loss and the gain, the risk involved. One need not hesitate to consult the appropriate people.
The ‘School Health Program’ conducts weekly classes across 1 to 10 which includes sessions on Safety and Responsibility, Self-awareness, Understanding Emotions, Building Attitude of Gratitude and much more through well planned methodologies.